Plantar Fasciitis

Ever walked around and noticed a twinge of pain in and around your heel area? Does it feel like you’re stepping on a needle pin side up? Does it hurt when you are standing barefoot on a hard surface? If so you may have this fairly common ‘injury’ known as Plantar Fasciitis. What this is is basically tightening of the fibrous band around the heel area called the plantar fascia. What the pain is the constricting and the stretching of the tendon when pressure is applied. Some notice it more during the morning as people who have this tend to sleep with their feet pointed. While the foot is pointed it relaxes and constricts to that shortened length then when you get out of bed and start taking steps the soreness is prevalent.

Plantar Fasciitis

Plantar Fasciitis

This has been bugging me since Tough Mudder as the very next day I could barely walk. In fact, later on that day I felt as though I was a 95 year old man. I walked gingerly to and fro the car. Was painful! So what I have been trying to do lately is wear shoes with good arch support from the moment I wake up until the moment I lay down to sleep. At work I keep my foot flat on the ground and at times stretch it as if I were stretching my calf muscle. It helps at times but its not a ‘fixall’ if you will. In fact there really isnt much that can be done to ‘cure’ the problem only help ease some pain. I’m not particularly worried about it as its more discomfort than an injury.

So if you have experienced or are currently experiencing this pain what do you do to help mend the discomfort? Post in the comments and let me know!

Stay Strong!

7 Comments

• By Cruz Cranford, March 25, 2013 @ 6:20 pm

I was reading about this a while back as I have the same problem, it came about from constantly wearing flip flops/sandals to work. I have to massage my foot daily and try to not sleep in a room thats so cold. I’ve read that getting a pedicure may help.

• By Charlie, March 25, 2013 @ 7:00 pm

I bought orthotics and put them in every shoe/sneaker I wear. I’m constantly stretching my calves and ice a few times a week. I’ve also had a few cortisone shots in the past but its not recommended.

• By Adam, March 25, 2013 @ 7:20 pm

I’ve looked into cortisone shots. What inserts did you buy?

• By Andy, March 25, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

I developed PF a couple of years ago when I started running and training after years of inactivity. It got so bad that I went to a podiatrist. His assistant wrapped my feet with tape and pads, and they sold me some night splints that kept the plantar fascia stretched while I slept. They eventually fitted me with orthotics that I wear most of the time. Thank god for insurance. Also try freezing a bottle of water and rolling it under your foot after a workout or run.

• By Adam, March 25, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

Was the splint something where they pull your toes towards your shin bone? almost like a sling

• By Naomi, March 26, 2013 @ 10:46 am

My bosses (a runner and a physical therapist) invented a non-invasive, inexpensive tool to relieve Plantar Fasciitis. It’s called the J Wedge and it helps you keep your feet stretched properly in minutes a day. My boss tried custom orthotics and shots but nothing but the J Wedge has worked for him.

Other Links to this Post